[slime-devel] Re: sbcl regression with slime

Christophe Rhodes csr21 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Nov 11 08:38:37 UTC 2004

Helmut Eller <e9626484 at stud3.tuwien.ac.at> writes:

> Christophe Rhodes <csr21 at cam.ac.uk> writes:
>
>> I see this as an interim step towards what I would consider a proper
>> solution: the variant of (1) which reads "the communication protocol
>> between slime and lisp is defined over octets; where these octets are
>> to be interpreted as forming character data, the encoding is
>> ucs-4-bigendian".  The point of this would be to allow those lisps
>> supporting more characters than 256 to communicate these characters,
>> while having those with just 256 (or fewer) characters simply deal
>> with a slightly more space-wasteful protocol.
>
> Why do you want to use ucs-4?  Why not utf-8?  Is that SBCL's internal
> format?  If we want to use a multibyte encoding at all, we should also
> consider emacs-mule, that's Emacs' internal encoding used for
> multibyte characters.

For the encoding across the wire, I don't really care what is used:
all that really matters is that it be defined and one-to-one over the
space of characters that both ends agree to agree on.  ucs-4 is
fixed-width, which potentially makes it easier to write the conversion
routines to take a stream of octets and return a string, that's all.
If emacs-mule is a fixed, supported and documented internal encoding,
then fine, that would work.

> In general, I don't like this multibyte character shit.  It seems to me
> like a feature that 99% of the users don't need.  I certainly don't
> need it.

Of course it's possible to do lots of interesting computations and
make interesting user interfaces with only ascii characters.  On the
other hand, people writing applications may want to internationalize
them; people describing geographical data may want to use localized
names; I don't know.  But if the tools don't support multibyte
characters, it's no big surprise that users aren't using them.

If you don't need multibyte character stuff, then clearly it's unfair
to ask you to spend your time on it.  In that case, I suggest that for
now it be documented that slime (or its underlying Lisp, at any rate)
must be run in the POSIX locale -- or other implementation-defined
locales where the external format for character streams is
latin1-based -- and that it be left at that.

Cheers,

Christophe