[slime-devel] Re: sbcl regression with slime

Helmut Eller e9626484 at stud3.tuwien.ac.at
Thu Nov 11 08:06:01 UTC 2004

Christophe Rhodes <csr21 at cam.ac.uk> writes:

> I see this as an interim step towards what I would consider a proper
> solution: the variant of (1) which reads "the communication protocol
> between slime and lisp is defined over octets; where these octets are
> to be interpreted as forming character data, the encoding is
> ucs-4-bigendian".  The point of this would be to allow those lisps
> supporting more characters than 256 to communicate these characters,
> while having those with just 256 (or fewer) characters simply deal
> with a slightly more space-wasteful protocol.

Why do you want to use ucs-4?  Why not utf-8?  Is that SBCL's internal
format?  If we want to use a multibyte encoding at all, we should also
consider emacs-mule, that's Emacs' internal encoding used for
multibyte characters.

In general, I don't like this multibyte character shit.  It seems to me
like a feature that 99% of the users don't need.  I certainly don't
need it.

Helmut.