[slime-devel] Several questions about typeout frames

Helmut Eller e9626484 at stud3.tuwien.ac.at
Tue Nov 9 09:22:02 UTC 2004

"R. Mattes" <rm at mh-freiburg.de> writes:

> i have some questions about slime's typeout frames. First, is there
> a way to configure the appearance of the typeout frames short of editing
> 'slime.el'? I'd like to customize the background color as well as disable
> the statusbar. Maybe there's a chance to defcustom
>  slime-typeout-frame-properties instead of devar-ing it?

I don't know much about this.  And what I know is probably wrong :)

> Second, is it possible to have the compiler messages show up in the
> typeout frame instead of poping up in (not so) small tooltip windows.
> I often encounter huge compiler messages that cause tooltips the size
> of my sceen :-)

Hehe, I wonder if you are using SBCL.  Maybe you should have a talk
with your friendly neighborhood SBCL hacker.

We could make tooltips optional, but I don't want to, because we use
the rather nice trick that the "help-echo" text property can be used
for tooltips and ordinary messages.  If we change that, we have to use
a different property and duplicate some code.  It's a lot easier if
you simply disable tooltip mode.

There's no ready-made way to display compiler messages in the typeout
frame.  Perhaps slime-list-compiler-notes is good enough for your.  If
not, you can configure slime-compilation-finished-hook.  Look at some
of the available defaults for examples.

Helmut.