[slime-devel] Some remarks

Bill_Clementson at peoplesoft.com Bill_Clementson at peoplesoft.com
Tue Apr 20 18:41:51 UTC 2004

Hi Edi!

Just a few comments:

> 2. The shortcut ,change-directory uses a function read-directory-name
>    which I don't seem to have. I'm using GNU Emacs 21.3.

The function appears to be in GNU Emacs 21.3.5 but not in 21.3.1

> 3. Is there a specific reason that RET isn't bound to
>    newline-and-indent (or something similar) as in ILISP but only to
>    C-j?

This bugged me too. I manually put the following in my .emacs file:
(add-hook 'lisp-mode-hook (lambda ()
                      (slime-mode t)
                      (define-key lisp-mode-map [(control j)] 'newline)
                      (define-key lisp-mode-map [(control m)]
'newline-and-indent)
                      etc....))

However, I agree that it should probably be the default.

> 7. The fact that SPC (slime-space) still works and does the right
>    thing after you've started entering arguments (contrary to ILISP)
>    is very cool and a real time-saver for me!!

If you like slime-space, you should try adding (slime-autodoc-mode) to your
.emacs file. It shows the same info as slime-space does for whatever
function your cursor is currently over.

In a separate post, Edi said:
>    [I'm offline while I write this but I seem to remember that I've
>    somewhere (in CLOCC?) seen a CL package for Emacs Lisp. Does my
>    memory serve me right? Does this package provide Emacs Lisp regular
>    expressions for CL?]

Yes, you are correct - CLOCC has an elisp.lisp file in the cllib package;
however, it doesn't have regex support.

Cheers,
Bill