[slime-devel] Some remarks

Edi Weitz edi at agharta.de
Tue Apr 20 17:51:29 UTC 2004

Hi!

I've finally found some spare hours to play with SLIME. I used the
current CVS version (updated this morning) with CMUCL 18e and, wow,
I'm really amazed! Great work, guys!!!

While I came across a few minor bugs and lost the connection once or
twice I still get the feeling that even CVS HEAD seems to be very
stable and grown-up. I think I'll drop ILISP and work with SLIME
exclusively from now on.

Below are a couple of minor remarks which I hope are helpful:

1. The function slime-remove-notes is bound to C-c M-c while the
   manual says M-c.

2. The shortcut ,change-directory uses a function read-directory-name
   which I don't seem to have. I'm using GNU Emacs 21.3.

3. Is there a specific reason that RET isn't bound to
   newline-and-indent (or something similar) as in ILISP but only to
   C-j?

4. Load CL-PPCRE, than invoke slime-apropos-package (a cool function
   by the way). Now position the cursor above PPCRE-SYNTAX-ERROR and
   invoke slime-edit-definition. I get:

     No matching method for the generic-function #<Standard-Generic-Function PCL:COMPUTE-APPLICABLE-METHODS-USING-CLASSES (1)
                                                   {281DF8F1}>,
     when called with arguments (#<Closure Over Function "DEFUN %DEFINE-CONDITION"
                                   {4879E009}>
                                 (#<CONDITIONS::CONDITION-CLASS PPCRE-SYNTAX-ERROR
                                    {486B867D}>)).
        [Condition of type NO-APPLICABLE-METHOD]

5. In the same *SLIME Apropos* buffer position the cursor above
   CREATE-SCANNER and invoke slime-edit-definition. Now I get:

     Error in function COMMON-LISP::%%TYPEP:
     Unknown type specifier: C::FILE-SOURCE-LOCATION
     [Condition of type SIMPLE-ERROR]

6. I think that slime-interactive-eval is a very useful function and
   IMHO the C-c : keybinding should also be available in the Slime
   REPL. Yeah, I know that you actually don't need to use the
   minibuffer while you're in the REPL but in the long run it'd be
   easier for my muscle memory to always be sure that C-c : is there
   without thinking... :)

7. The fact that SPC (slime-space) still works and does the right
   thing after you've started entering arguments (contrary to ILISP)
   is very cool and a real time-saver for me!!

Thanks to all for this great package!

Cheers,
Edi.