[slime-devel] detachtty + slime

David Steuber david at david-steuber.com
Tue Apr 20 07:19:58 UTC 2004

Helmut Eller <e9626484 at stud3.tuwien.ac.at> writes:

> David Steuber <david at david-steuber.com> writes:
>
> > Is there a way around this one connection limitation?  So far, the
> > only thing that worked for me was to run attachtty to get into my app
> > and re-run (swank:create-server 4005) as you said.  I don't know how
> > to put this in a shell script which would make it a little better.
> >
> > It would be very nice to be able to reuse the server connection.  How
> > hard would this be?  What are the security implications of doing this?
> > It seems that another user on the system can connect to a swank
> > server.
>
> Perhaps you haven't received or read my previous message in this
> thread.  I already mentioned that the DONT-CLOSE argument to
> SWANK:CREATE-SWANK-SERVER can be used to keep the socket open.
> See also <http://home.comcast.net/~bc19191/blog/040304.html>

I missed it somehow.  Sorry.  But thanks for this reply.  It is so
nice to have a feature request that is already implemented.

> The security implication is, that everybody who is able to connect to
> the swank socket can execute arbitrary in your Lisp.

I figured as much.  I know that matters in many installations, but in
my case that is not a big issue.  Maybe someone who wants it can come
up with some sort of authentication mechanism.

Thanks again.

--
I wouldn't mind the rat race so much if it wasn't for all the damn cats.