[regex-coach] Feature request: turn off real time option

Edi Weitz edi at agharta.de
Fri Mar 17 13:36:59 UTC 2006

Hi!

On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 14:08:49 -0000, David Evans <david.evans at formscape.com> wrote:

> This is the best tool for building RegEx's I've found!  Thanks, Edi!

You're welcome... :)

> I use it to test expressions that search OCR text for multiple-date
> formats and invoice information.  Sometimes I have long expressions
> and large target strings.  When this happens, I would really like to
> be able to turn off the real time testing because my machine takes a
> while to process each keystroke - it would be cool to turn this
> feature off or only search when the text has not changed for >0.7
> seconds (configurable?) or maybe on a key-combination.

We've had this request before, and apart from the fact that I don't
currently have any time to work on the program my usual reply is that
I most likely won't add this feature anyway.  If you have long
expressions and large target strings, I suspect that you are in a way
abusing the Regex Coach.  It was intended to help people understand
regular expressions and play with them, and for that the real time
feature is crucial IMHO.  If you can also make good use of it for
other things, that's fine, but that's not its main purpose.

> I would also like Regex Coach to fix all my OCR errors, make my tea
> and remind me about my wife's birthday.. ;-)

I could add that as a paid support incident... :)

Cheers,
Edi.