"Auto-sync" questions

Eli Naeher enaeher at gmail.com
Tue Jan 28 16:11:38 UTC 2014

Hello,

I'm in the process of converting an existing application from CLSQL to
Postmodern. This application makes heavy use of CLSQL's *db-auto-sync*
feature, whereby new instances of view (DAO) classes are immediately
inserted into the DB table, and changes to view class instance slots result
in immediate updates.

While I like the explicit approach of save-dao/update-dao/etc., there is
just too much code in this application that relies on the auto-sync
behavior to adopt that approach in the immediate term.

So, a few questions:

- would a *db-auto-sync*-like feature be accepted if I were to submit a
pull request, or are there philosophical objections to having this feature
in mainline Postmodern?

- if this feature is not desired, would you be willing to accept a few
patches that would make it easier for me to build this feature as a
separate third-party library? Specifically, I'm thinking of something like
CLSQL's *db-deserializing* flag, which would indicate to my code when it is
being called by a dao-row-reader (and thus should not propagate slot value
changes to the database) vs when it is being called by user code.

Thank you,
-Eli