[postmodern-devel] MD5 auth scheme broken?

Zach Beane xach at xach.com
Thu Dec 6 21:01:56 UTC 2012

Julien Danjou <julien at danjou.info> writes:

> Hi there,
>
> (I'm new to CL & postmodern, so forgive me in advance.)
>
> I tried to use postmodern, but I kept getting:
>      password authentication failed for user "foobar"
>
> as error, and I do know that my credentials are ok.
>
> Specifying the password as nil in `connect' made me discover that MD5
> was used to authenticate. Then, changing 'md5' to 'password' in
> pg_hba.conf allowed me to connect using postmodern!
>
> It seems that the MD5 auth scheme is broken somehow in postmodern, or
> that I miss something. I'm using PostgreSQL 9.2 FWIW.
>
> Hint?

See https://github.com/marijnh/Postmodern/issues/27 - the md5 library
changed. The next update of Quicklisp will include the Postmodern
update.

In the meantime, you could do something like this to get the update
early:

  cd ~/quicklisp/local-projects
  git clone git://github.com/marijnh/Postmodern.git

That local checkout will override Quicklisp's version of Postmodern.

Zach