[postmodern-devel] Re: Incompatible changes coming up

Marijn Haverbeke marijnh at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 21:59:04 UTC 2008

Hi list,

I hope I haven't made anyone too nervous by announcing upcoming
incompatible changes. I have pushed a lot of patches the past week and
I think that, except for some low-level CL-postgres issues, things are
now pretty much as they should be. If you are not using the DAO
interface, the changes will be largely irrelevant to you. Based on
problems people on this list were having, and some stuff we ran into
at Streamtech, I have revised the DAO interface to rely more on the
MOP and less on macros. It should be more flexible now. You can read
about it by pulling the updated documentation from the repository --
there's even a short migration guide:

http://common-lisp.net/cgi-bin/darcsweb/darcsweb.cgi?r=postmodern-postmodern;a=headblob;f=/doc/migrating-to-1.10.html

I would very much appreciate it if some people were to try out the new
interface, and tell me what they think. There are probably some bugs
in there -- the code uses a few rather dubious MOP tricks -- but on
all major implementation that I could test (I couldn't get ECL to work
on my Ubuntu system, for some reason) the basic stuff worked fine.

Cheers,
Marijn