[movitz-devel] Warning: Auto-bootstrapping CLOS completed.

Frode V. Fjeld frodef at cs.uit.no
Fri Nov 21 19:42:42 UTC 2008

"Paavo Parkkinen" <pparkkin at iki.fi> writes:

> Here's the backtrace from movitz:
>
> Enter..Ok.
> Installing los0-GC with 63238 KB.
> Break: Auto-bootstrapping CLOS.
> Warning: Auto-bootstrapping CLOS completed.
>  0: Return from break: Auto-bootstrapping CLOS.
> [0d] LOS0> :bt
>  <3 (BREAK "Auto-bootstrapping CLOS.")
>  <1 (MUERTE::SIGNAL-SIMPLE SIMPLE-CONDITION NEWLINE NIL)
>  <= (SIGNAL NEWLINE)
>  <= (X86-PC::TEXTMODE-SCROLL-DOWN)
>  <= (X86-PC::TEXTMODE-WRITE-CHAR #\Newline)
>  <= (TEXTMODE-CONSOLE MUERTE::STREAM-WRITE-CHAR {ebx unknown})
>  <= (MUERTE::%WRITE-CHAR #\Newline #<function TEXTMODE-CONSOLE>)
>  <= (WRITE-CHAR #\Newline NIL)
>  <= (TERPRI)
>  <= (MUERTE::FORMAT-BY-STRING "~&Installing los0-GC with ~D KB.~%" #x0 #x0 NIL)
>  <= (FORMAT T "~&Installing los0-GC with ~D KB.~%" #xf706)
>  <= (GENESIS)
>  <= (MUERTE::|losp/los0.lisp|)

Right, I've seen this before :-)

What happens is simply that the screen is (attempted) scrolled before
CLOS is bootstrapped. As you can see, I signal a condition when this
happens, and conditions are CLOS instances.

This happens e.g. when the BIOS is unusually verbose, or there's
something else early in the boot sequence that prints too much to the
console.

Obviously this is not a satisfactory state of affairs in general, but
I haven't taken the time to devise a good solution to this problem
yet.

Frode