[movitz-devel] Re: tips for a newbie

Frode Vatvedt Fjeld ffjeld at common-lisp.net
Wed Jul 27 22:03:34 UTC 2005

Rex Walburn <walburn at gmail.com> writes:

> So is there a user's guide for movitz?

Sorry, nothing beyond what's available from the web-site. Which should
include some not-too-unreadable technical information, but not exactly
"user guide" as such.

> How do I access my hard disk using Movitz ? (I use Bochs to load the
> kernel ) Although I tried reading the archives of movtiz-devel
> mailing list , I still could not figure out how to launch an emacs
> or any other editor on the movitz kernel?

Lesson 1: There is in principle no "the Movitz kernel". Movitz is a
development platform upon which you can build OS kernels and similar
applications/systems. The "kernel" that I sometimes refer to as "los0"
is really just the bare minimums of a system that is used to test all
the bits and pieces.

To (literally) run emacs, you'd probably need to implement the
unix-like environment it needs. This is a big job. Convincing a proper
CL (emacs-like) editor to run on Movitz would be less of a deal
(google for "lice movitz" for something that's actually sort of almost
working).

> I browsed through the part of the code of Movitz which handles
> assembly instructions, and although I could not understand some of
> the stuff, but it's a brilliant piece of work !! Kudos to all the
> developers ...

On behalf of all the deveopers, thank you :) Unfortunately it's
impossible for me to take the time to write a user guide (now), but I
try my best to answer questions in this forum.

--
Frode Vatvedt Fjeld