[iterate-devel] Project status

Hoehle, Joerg-Cyril Joerg-Cyril.Hoehle at t-systems.com
Wed Jan 25 17:16:06 UTC 2006

Attila Lendvai wrote:
>actually what i am missing is only
>a publically accessible repository preferrably with two branches, a
>dev and a release branch.

Well, in my view, Iterate is a fairly mature package.  It's also close to a dead-end (by which I mean sort of an evolutionary stabilization).  Therefore, it's not surprising that there's not much activity.  People don't invent useful new Iteration forms every other day.

So in my eyes, a single branch is fine.  A devel branch would mean that there are actually several people with developer status, who share the distributed repository to exchange code before it's proven stable and released.  With Iterate, I think there's no need for this, yet.  As long as you can be confident that things will eventually become merged somehow by the maintainer. ;)

The latter is a difference with CL-SDL.  It's on sourceforge, there have been bug-reports (e.g. duplicate CD-status) but I've seen no response at all in the mailing list.

A devel branch might come in handy should I do major modifications to the internal structure, with a slight change of semantics (e.g. move lots of initialization from SETQ to the binding LET), which might affect some users.  That would require a branch, so that some bug fixes can still be applied to the stable release.  But don't hold your breath for this to happen anytime soon.

This notwithstanding, several developers/maintainers, some actually with write access to common-lisp.net could help things speed up...

Regards,
	Jörg Höhle.