[iterate-devel] Iterate download error

Marc Battyani marc.battyani at fractalconcept.com
Thu Jan 5 13:48:14 UTC 2006

Jörg wrote:
>Marc Battyani wrote:
>>This is for this kind of problem that I keep an up to date
>>ITERATE version in cl-pdf. ;-)
>
>I'm sorry, Marc, it is not up to date :-(
>I recently looked at your online cl-pdf repository only to discover that it contains the
>Iterate version as of February/March 2005.
>I'm sure I sent you the June 2005 version half a year ago.

Oops sorry. I really thought it was up to date. I will change it.

>readme-pdf says: "This version is known to work well with cl-pdf and cl-typesetting".
>This can also be read as "don't trust the current or more recent versions" or "I haven't
>tested anything more recent so I can't tell nor make guarantees".

>I don't like the taste of that phrase, but I can fully understand that you provide a full
>package with all dependencies instead of having people fetch a half-dozen utility
packages
>themselves.  Hopefully, a Debian distribution will split things up and permit independent
>evolution of packages.

Well IMO it's there to have a self contained package and as a fallback. I have been burnt
in the past with libraries changing and breaking some of my software. So it should read as
"if it breaks with your version try to use this ones instead.

>I bet that my most current versions works equally well, if not better. I believe you just
>didn't get to update your copy of iterate in cl-pdf, because cl-pdf is essentially stable
>and you've been working on other things since then.

No it's just that I forgot to update. ;-)

>>Interested people can get it from there until the official
>>site is OK again.
>
>I cannot recommend that until you update to what I sent you last June.

OK I will update and post here when it is done. (and bug me if I forget again... ;-)

>I'll check whether the mailing list archives (or allows) attachments. Then I should send
>updates to the list, instead of to a few individual persons like I did back on 23rd of
>June 2005 (to Marco Baringer, you, Peter van Eynde, and CC: Kevin Rosenberg and Mark
>Williams).

I have an email from you dated 20 december 2005. Is that the latest one?
Also I added some patches sent by Fare in the cl-pdf version. Did you add them to that
version ?

>Of course, the best solution would be for me to get write access to common-lisp.net.
I'll
>see how far I can get there.
>
>BTW, I'm slowly preparing an update to the June version - don't hold your breath!
>Interested people can get an interim version for compatibility testing from me (very
>little changes so far, I mostly increased testing coverage).

OK, good.

Marc