[iterate-devel] Iterate download error

Hoehle, Joerg-Cyril Joerg-Cyril.Hoehle at t-systems.com
Thu Jan 5 13:33:23 UTC 2006

Marc Battyani wrote:
>This is for this kind of problem that I keep an up to date
>ITERATE version in cl-pdf. ;-)
I'm sorry, Marc, it is not up to date :-(
I recently looked at your online cl-pdf repository only to discover that it contains the Iterate version as of February/March 2005.
I'm sure I sent you the June 2005 version half a year ago.

readme-pdf says: "This version is known to work well with cl-pdf and cl-typesetting".  This can also be read as "don't trust the current or more recent versions" or "I haven't tested anything more recent so I can't tell nor make guarantees".

I don't like the taste of that phrase, but I can fully understand that you provide a full package with all dependencies instead of having people fetch a half-dozen utility packages themselves.  Hopefully, a Debian distribution will split things up and permit independent evolution of packages.

I bet that my most current versions works equally well, if not better. I believe you just didn't get to update your copy of iterate in cl-pdf, because cl-pdf is essentially stable and you've been working on other things since then.

>Interested people can get it from there until the official
>site is OK again.
I cannot recommend that until you update to what I sent you last June.

I'll check whether the mailing list archives (or allows) attachments. Then I should send updates to the list, instead of to a few individual persons like I did back on 23rd of June 2005 (to Marco Baringer, you, Peter van Eynde, and CC: Kevin Rosenberg and Mark Williams).
Of course, the best solution would be for me to get write access to common-lisp.net.  I'll see how far I can get there.

BTW, I'm slowly preparing an update to the June version - don't hold your breath!  Interested people can get an interim version for compatibility testing from me (very little changes so far, I mostly increased testing coverage).

Regards,
	Jörg