[iolib-devel] compilation error

Peter Keller psilord at cs.wisc.edu
Thu Dec 24 20:41:26 UTC 2009

On Thu, Dec 24, 2009 at 07:46:13PM +0100, Stelian Ionescu wrote:
> sbcl 1.0.18 may be too old (17 months old ATM) so I'd advise you to try
> with a more recent version.

Another poster mentioned to me to use clbuild to get a newer copy of
sbcl and the various supported packages. I used it, installed ALL of
the supported packages, and it worked *almost* out of the box.

Oddly, enough, it failed to compile iolib :), but this time I figured out why.

Basically, you have some 8-bit ascii in the documentation string for the
method in iolib/src/sockets/base-sockets.lisp:

(defgeneric socket-option (socket option-name)
  (:documentation "Returns the value(s) of OS option OPTION-NAME on SOCKET.
  For a complete list of supported options see <C2><AB>iolib.sockets/socket-options.lisp<C2><BB>."))

sbcl complained about an unreadable character in the stream and
stopped. Once I removed the << >> marks from the documentation string,
it worked and iolib compiled and loaded. I was easily able to get the library
I am working on as well to set up and run.

> If you need assistance with IOlib, you can also find me on
> irc.freenode.net, channel #iolib :)

Ok, my main interest is figuring out how in Common Lisp to write a
nonblocking multplexed i/o server and the client it speaks to.

I have a project that I need to scale to tens of thousands of clients
talking with a single server.

Thank you.

-pete