[iolib-devel] compilation error

Stelian Ionescu sionescu at cddr.org
Thu Dec 24 18:46:13 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-12-24 at 11:55 -0600, Peter Keller wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm *very* new to Common Lisp and have only just started understanding
> how to use packages and asdf. I have a client/server application in mind,
> of which I've already written a fair amount (using the asdf module system),
> and I would like to use iolib to multiplex the i/o.
>
> I'm using sbcl 1.0.18.debian on an ubuntu 9.04 x86 box.

sbcl 1.0.18 may be too old (17 months old ATM) so I'd advise you to try
with a more recent version.

> I initially used asdf to set up iolib and it picked the iolib-0.6.0
> package and downloaded/compiled a bunch of denpendencies.  There were
> some problems compiling it concerning its dependencies, which I'm sorry
> to say I did not record or what I did to get around them--but it had to
> do with cffi-grovel not being a package asdf new about, and I believe I
> had to install cffi by hand before iolib would finish compiling becaue
> the grovel module was now part of the cffi.
>
> So, I started looking around for an example for how to use iolib,
> and found one online in the current sources for iolib called
> echo-server.lisp. It took a while for me to realize that net.sockets in
> the iolib-0.6.0 version was moved to iolib.sockets in the current sources, and
> after noticing that some other API changes happened and whatnot, I removed the
> iolib-0.6.0 site and system from my ~/.sbcl/{site,system} directory, removed
> the asd file symlinks, and git checked out the head of iolib.

No need to apologize. A new release is long overdue and the current HEAD
needs CFFI HEAD(http://common-lisp.net/project/cffi/darcs/cffi/). I'll
try to arrange a new release of CFFI and IOlib before the end of the
vacation

Usually, whenever I switch from requiring a released version to the live
version of some dependency, I update the download page
(http://common-lisp.net/project/iolib/download.shtml)

If you need assistance with IOlib, you can also find me on
irc.freenode.net, channel #iolib :)

--
Stelian Ionescu a.k.a. fe[nl]ix
http://common-lisp.net/project/iolib