[gsharp-devel] changing VCS to git

Christophe Rhodes csr21 at cantab.net
Mon Feb 1 14:32:45 UTC 2010

Christophe Rhodes <csr21 at cantab.net> writes:

> Absent any objections, I'll aim to make that change in the first week of
> February.

I've made a trial conversion of the history.  It is available with
  git clone http://rvw.doc.gold.ac.uk/sullivan/git/gsharp.git
and there is a web interface at
  http://rvw.doc.gold.ac.uk/sullivan/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=gsharp.git

The conversion was made by

* first using git-cvsimport:
  git cvsimport -A ../gsharp-author-file -d \
    :local:/home/csr21/lisp/tmp/gsharp/cvsroot -z 180 gsharp"

* followed by editing the commit titled "Gsharp definitely has lyrics"
  to amend the commit message to be encoded in utf-8 (there's a \"u in
  iso-8859-1)

* followed by resetting the committer metadata with
  git filter-branch -f --env-filter '
    export GIT_COMMITTER_NAME="$GIT_AUTHOR_NAME"
    export GIT_COMMITTER_EMAIL="$GIT_AUTHOR_EMAIL"
    export GIT_COMMITTER_DATE="$GIT_AUTHOR_DATE"
    ' --tag-name-filter cat -- --all

Please browse the history and let me know if anything seems awry.

Best,

Christophe