[clpython-devel] Re: CLPython on SBCL

Leonardo Varuzza varuzza at gmail.com
Tue May 6 14:18:16 UTC 2008

Same error with SBCL 1.0.16.11 on AMD64:

; compiling (DEFCLASS PY-DICT ...)
debugger invoked on a SIMPLE-ERROR in thread #<THREAD "initial thread"
{100244CF51}>:
  The stream
  #<SB-SYS:FD-STREAM for "file
/home/varuzza/lisp/prog/clpython/core/early-dict.fasl" {10039AD0F1}>
  has no suitable method for STREAM-ELEMENT-TYPE, and so has fallen through
  this method.  If you think that this is a bug, please report it to the
  applicable authority (bugs in SBCL itself should go to the mailing lists
  referenced from <http://www.sbcl.org/>).

Type HELP for debugger help, or (SB-EXT:QUIT) to exit from SBCL.

restarts (invokable by number or by possibly-abbreviated name):
  0: [RETRY ] Retry performing #<ASDF:COMPILE-OP NIL {10037950A1}> on
              #<ASDF:CL-SOURCE-FILE "early-dict" {10032E1401}>.
  1: [ACCEPT] Continue, treating #<ASDF:COMPILE-OP NIL {10037950A1}> on
              #<ASDF:CL-SOURCE-FILE "early-dict" {10032E1401}> as having
been
              successful.
  2: [ABORT ] Exit debugger, returning to top level.

On Tue, May 6, 2008 at 7:23 AM, Willem Broekema <metawilm at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, May 6, 2008 at 6:19 AM, Jason Nielsen <jdn at math.carleton.ca>
> wrote:
>
> > I can confirm that compilation fails using SBCL 1.0.16 on a Ubuntu 7.10
> > system with a:
> >
> > "has no suitable method for STREAM-ELEMENT-TYPE, and so has fallen
> > through to this method...."
> >
> > error that crashes the whole session.  You can reproduce this behaviour
> > with the following:
> >
> > (defclass foo (standard-class) ())
> > (defclass bar () () (:metaclass foo))
> >

> Thanks for the confirmation. Actually I hoped this would not occur in the
> latest version, as Nikodemus Siivola said on 2008-01-15, in reply to what
> seems a very similar issue reported by Pascal Costanza: "This seems to
> have been fixed at some point during the last 10 months": <
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.lisp.steel-bank.devel/10603>
>
> Custom metaclasses are crucial for CLPython. Hopefully someone feels
> inclined to fix this SBCL issue.
>
> - Willem

The most fundamental particles in this product are held together by a
"gluing" force about which little is currently known and whose adhesive
power can therefore not be permanently guaranteed.