[clpython-devel] CLPython for other lisps

Willem Broekema metawilm at gmail.com
Sun Feb 4 19:30:10 UTC 2007

Michel Van den Bergh:
> Is there any hope that CLPython will be ported to other lisps (gcl,
> clisp, sbcl)?

Sure. What are you waiting for? :-)

Ignas Mikalajunas:
> I would like to see an asdf-installable CLPython running on sbcl too.
> I have somehow managed to add the asdf support and go around all the
> uses of lispworks specifc utility functions, but still was unable to
> complete the port since i don't know enough about CLOS MOP to finish
> the port.

Please wait a few days more, then CLPython will have a few sepate ASDF
systems, and will be restructured into different packages and
directories. There is still reliance on Allegro CL (not Lispworks),
though.

> Portability would really make it a lot easier to contribute
> to the project as now all the contributors are limmited to Lispworks
> users (an AFAIK most of the people contributing to open source common
> lisp projects are using - open source common lisp implementations).

Portability is not easy. Like, there is no portable way to use
environments and custom declarations, while much compiler logic is
currently based on that. Maybe other CL implementations offer
functionality similar to Allegro; in that case there's hope to get it
running on those implementations too. (Or someone could try to
restructure the compiler; that probably won't be me as I'm happy with
the current setup.)

Supporting other implementations is a wish, but not the main goal for
me personally, so please join development if you want to realize it.

> Having it asdf-installable would make it easier for others to
> integrate CLPython into their projects too.

Real soon.

- Willem