TrueType support in CLFSWM

philippe.brochard hocwp at free.fr
Sun Mar 20 21:07:54 UTC 2016

Thijs Oppermann <thijso at gmail.com> writes:

> Hi list,

Hi,

> First of all, a question: is this list still alive? Am I the only one
> using/hacking CLFSWM?

Yes of course, this list is still alive (it seems we are at least two).
I'm still using CLFSWM daily at home and since 2 years at work!

I'm quit happy with it. Maybe I'll hack one or two thing (rename child
shortcuts comes in mind).

> I've been a happy user now for a long time, ignoring the few tiny things
> bothering me or working around them using my .clfswmrc or hacking up some
> things in my local checkout of CLFSWM.

I'm really glad to see that there is still some CLFSWM users :-)

> Recently I got enough fed up with the too small font on my too big monitor
> and started looking for a solution. Not finding it in the very limited
> xfonts I could find (the best I could come up with was
> "-xos4-terminus-medium-r-normal--22-220-72-72-c-140-iso8859-1", which is
> ugly), I started looking at TrueType fonts. Luckily I quickly found
> CLX-TRUETYPE and started hacking away.

I've not been bitten by this font issue. But tell me if/when I can merge
it in the master branch.

> I've now been able to get it working for info-mode and notifications, and
> although they are a little bit slower, they look a lot better.
>
> Having this, I decided to cleanup my work and put it up somewhere. So
> that's what I did:
>
> https://github.com/thijs/clfswm

Thanks, I'll follow and merge you're work.

> Note that I also cleaned up some old changes/fixes/hacks I had in my code
> (on master, maybe should have used a different branch). Also, because my
> emacs kept insisting on changing whitespace and format I decided to bite
> the bullet and clean all source files up. Maybe I should have not done
> that, but at the time I thought this was never going out into the wild...

Here, I fear that this will not ease merges or code diff.
We will see. But it seems that in general we adapt our editor to the
coding still defined by the original project.

I have this in my ~/.emacs:

(setq lisp-indent-function 'common-lisp-indent-function)

But it seems that I have also some whitespaces issue with my emacs
recently. I'll check and use your changes if needed.

> See my work in progress changes on the branch add-truetype-support. Set the
> params *info-mode-use-ttf-fonts* and *default-use-ttf-fonts* to true to see
> it working. And also see the other config params in package.lisp.
>
> Things still to do are obviously the rest of the places where text is put
> on the screen, and once I've got them to maybe refactor it all, so that
> text to screen output is done in one way, and not 6 or 8...

Yes, this part is pretty ugly and a refactoring will be very
appreciated.

> I'd be interested to hear if it works for others, and what you think.

I'm very happy to see someone else working on clfswm. I'll integrate
your work in the main clfswm repo.
For now, clfswm fits most of my needs so I do not hack it as actively
as in the past. But be sure I'm still using it!

Please, continue sharing your progress here!

Happy hacking,

Philippe