TrueType support in CLFSWM

Thijs Oppermann thijso at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 22:52:53 UTC 2016

Hi list,

First of all, a question: is this list still alive? Am I the only one
using/hacking CLFSWM?

I've been a happy user now for a long time, ignoring the few tiny things
bothering me or working around them using my .clfswmrc or hacking up some
things in my local checkout of CLFSWM.

Recently I got enough fed up with the too small font on my too big monitor
and started looking for a solution. Not finding it in the very limited
xfonts I could find (the best I could come up with was
"-xos4-terminus-medium-r-normal--22-220-72-72-c-140-iso8859-1", which is
ugly), I started looking at TrueType fonts. Luckily I quickly found
CLX-TRUETYPE and started hacking away.

I've now been able to get it working for info-mode and notifications, and
although they are a little bit slower, they look a lot better.

Having this, I decided to cleanup my work and put it up somewhere. So
that's what I did:

https://github.com/thijs/clfswm

Note that I also cleaned up some old changes/fixes/hacks I had in my code
(on master, maybe should have used a different branch). Also, because my
emacs kept insisting on changing whitespace and format I decided to bite
the bullet and clean all source files up. Maybe I should have not done
that, but at the time I thought this was never going out into the wild...

See my work in progress changes on the branch add-truetype-support. Set the
params *info-mode-use-ttf-fonts* and *default-use-ttf-fonts* to true to see
it working. And also see the other config params in package.lisp.

Things still to do are obviously the rest of the places where text is put
on the screen, and once I've got them to maybe refactor it all, so that
text to screen output is done in one way, and not 6 or 8...

I'd be interested to hear if it works for others, and what you think.

Thijs