[clfswm-devel] [pull-request] Add volume mode

Philippe Brochard pbrochard at common-lisp.net
Fri Mar 4 21:15:08 UTC 2011

Desmond O. Chang writes:

> On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 00:04, Philippe Brochard
> <pbrochard at common-lisp.net> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks! How do you think clfswm is hackable? Is the api hard to
>> understand?
>
> Keybinding and menu definition are simple.  Source code is a good
> example.

Ok. And indeed, the source code is the sole documentation but like that
there is no lag between the doc and the code :)

> It's more difficult to write a mode.  There're too many apis:
> GENERIC-MODE, DEFINE-HANDLER, DEFINE-INIT-HASH-TABLE-KEY,
> DEFINE-DEFINE-KEY and many XLIB functions.  It would be better if we
> have a guide.

Yes, the mode creation is a more complex thing and it's not
standardized yet (a lot of things to put together). But there is some
recurrent pattern that can be factorized.
BTW your contrib/volume-mode.lisp can be a good starting point for
example.

> Next I'll learn the layout management.

This part is standardized. But there will be some changes with the
changeable child border size.