[cl-typesetting-devel] Re: [cl-pdf-devel] Exscribe + CL-Typesetting

Dmitriy Ivanov divanov at aha.ru
Sat Apr 28 05:12:16 UTC 2007

Hello Denis,

| I have to add that there's nothing to be excited about at the moment -
| this is just a quick hack to get _some_ pdf output out of exscribe;
| that said, development is under way, please expect major changes in
| the coming weeks. Hopefully this will complement cl-typesetting
| functionality nicely.
|
| One major shortcoming of cl-typesetting that is holding
| exscribe-typesetting back is the lack of the mechanism to place
| footnotes on the page they belong. If nothing is planned in this
| regard by cl-typesetting developers, I will implement  it - and I will
| be grateful for any thoughts and pointers on how to go about it
| (concering algorithms and cl-typesetting architecture).

Good initiative!

Personally, I have been concentrating on generating reports rather than
large books and manuals and  do not have many thoughts :-)  Definitely, It
would be nice having a style system similar to CSS.

I think it is worth keeping "cl-typesetting light" engine away from
heavyweight features. For example, I usually exclude the hyphenation module
and pre/post-decoration from my production version as they make things
several times slower. (You can make a difference by simply commenting out
the methods  <stroke :before (box t t)> and <stroke :after (box t t)> in
stroke.lisp.)
--
Sincerely,
Dmitriy Ivanov