[cl-typesetting-devel] cl-pdf vs the fasl cache

Marc Battyani marc.battyani at fractalconcept.com
Sun Aug 28 21:55:02 UTC 2005

Faré wrote:

>The dreaded day when scribe ceased to work in debian has arrived at
>last, and I've decided that my upgrade path would be cl-typesetting,
>not skribe.

Cool. So now I'm waiting for the scribe syntax front-end for cl-typesetting.
;-)

>Trying to compile the latest cl-typesetting, I find this error when
compiling
>cl-pdf/chart.lisp: helvetica font not found. That's because I'm using
>a common-lisp-controller kind of trick (actually, cl-launch) whereby
>fasl's are stored in a different directory from the source code, and
>so *load-pathname* is not the right place where to look for the afm
>directory.
>
>The trick I use is to capture the compile-time value of
>*load-pathname* with #. (I previously tried with eval-when, but
>couldn't get it right). Thus, in cl-pdf/config.lisp:
>
>(defparameter *afm-files-directories*
>  (when #.*load-pathname*
>    (list (merge-pathnames #P"afm/*.afm" #.*load-pathname*)))
>  "The directory containing the Adobe Font Metrics files for the 14
>predefined fonts")

OK why not. At first glance, I don't see any problem with this. So I will
put this unless somebody has a reason not to.

>PS: does anyone generate HTML and PDF from Lisp using cl-typesetting
>and some other backend? What do you use to generate both HTML and PDF
>from the same source?

When I generate some documents both in HTML and pdf, I generally use 2
rather different kind of layouts styles. So I write 2 sets of functions.

This reminds me that I should commit the changes and fix I've got to the
cl-pdf and cl-typesetting repositories. I will try to do it in the next few
days :)

Marc