[cl-typesetting-devel] Re: Problems with cl-typesetting

Marc Battyani marc.battyani at fractalconcept.com
Fri Apr 15 21:12:41 UTC 2005

lisptracker wrote:

>Sorry my bothering you. I am heavy puzzled by using russian fonts in
>cl-typesetting.

These questions should be sent to the cl-typesetting or cl-pdf mailing lists
rather than to lisp-hug. (I've put this email in copy to the cl-typesetting
list)
The mailing lists are here:

>I've just typed russian letters to one of strings in test.lisp's HELLO
>function, but GET-CHAR-SIZE function in cl-pdf's font.lisp called from
>MAKE-CHAR-BOX function in typo.lisp says that it cannot violate array
bounds
>(character code is > 255):

>;; (let* ((char (aref (characters font) (force-char-code char-or-code)))

>So I write function that convert unicode string to cp-1251 code page and
>wrap string in it. So hello.pdf generated fine, but russian text was
>invisible. I tried to use all encodings from encodings.lisp in cl-pdf with
>no effect. I converted Arial.ttf to Arial.afm by ttf2afm.exe utility from
>Cygnus. The hello.pdf generated silently but Acrobat Reader said that Arial
>had bad \bbox or so. I've already spent many hours trying to solve this
>puzzle, looks like I need good advice from somebody more experienced
>(lucky).

To use cl-typesetting with Russian fonts, you should have a look at Dmitri
Ivanov's page here:
http://lisp.ystok.ru/cl-pdf.html
The cl-typesetting example with a paragraph in  Arial Cyrillic font is here:
http://lisp.ystok.ru/code/ex-1251.pdf

I plan to integrate Dmitri's modifications but some portability issues need
to be addressed (Dmitri's code is for LW only so far).
Unicode support should be added too.

Marc