[cl-syntax-sugar-devel] Restructuring the ASD files

Russ Tyndall russ at acceleration.net
Thu Jan 22 23:31:33 UTC 2009

Howdy Attila and Co,

I have been desirous of a package like this for quite a while and
finally got around to trying out cl-syntax-sugar.  I like it very much,
so thank you for all your hard work on this front.  My primary reason
for using this package was to get cl-interpol syntax to be always
available when I compile or load either through swank or asdf, and was
very happy to see that you had tackled this.  I also wanted the clsql
reader syntax to behave in a more standard way and to also be attachable
to the package we are compiling in.  I did not however, want to compile
all the available syntaxes that you have created.  To this end I
restructured the asd files for this project as described below.  I
wanted to make this patch available to others in case they found it
useful, as well as get your opinion on this restructuring.  I was unable
to get all the tests to pass, but the same number of tests fail before
and after my changes (so I am pretty confident I didn't cause them).

* slim-cl-syntax-sugar loads all the necessary pieces to create a syntax
and have that work with asdf (and swank if it is loaded)
* every syntax is now its own system which relies on slim
* the main cl-syntax-sugar asd now just depends on each of the syntax
systems and slim
* created new clsql-syntax and cl-interpol-syntax packages/systems that
rely on the appropriate dependencies and declare defsyntax for their
respective syntaxes

Now I can just load the specific syntax I wish to use in my project (eg:
:depends-on (:cl-interpol-syntax)) and asdf takes care of loading what
is necessary.

Hope this helps someone,
Russ Tyndall