[cl-ppcre-devel] Porting to Genera, feature request

Patrick O'Donnell pao at ascent.com
Thu Sep 16 13:17:26 UTC 2004

    From: Edi Weitz <edi at agharta.de>
    Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 10:53:04 +0200

    On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 13:27:23 -0400 (EDT), "Patrick O'Donnell" <pao at ascent.com> wrote:
    > I'm doing development on Genera, and there were several issues with
    > compiling cl-ppcre, mostly due to Genera not quite being ANSI
    > compliant.

    If you send a #+/#- patch to make compilation on Genera work I'll
    gladly integrate it.

OK.  I'll have to go over it again to clean it up; some of the earlier
conditionalizations I did were superseded by more comprehensive
changes later.  Quick precis: user::in-package is still a function, so
(in-package #:cl-ppcre) doesn't work.  I just changed all those to
:cl-ppcre, the keyword clutter being less ugly to me than #+/#- for
all those.  In the package declaration, I :use'd FUTURE-COMMON-LISP
instead of CL, which almost worked.  I also had to shadowing import
LAMBDA from CL.  (Weird.)  Either Genera doesn't handle the
simple-string type right or future-common-lisp:simple-string isn't
fully implemented.  I'll want to investigate that better to determine
the best solution.  As it is, I just conditionalized all the
simple-string usages to string.  There were a couple other minor
things.

I'll send a cleaned-up diff sometime when deadline pressure is
relieved.

    I can't do anything about these assumptions because CL-PPCRE purports
    to be Perl-compatible but I'd be glad to add a note to the docs or the
    README file about these (expected) failures on Genera if you send
    details ...

OK.  (For some of the tests, I'll still have to wrap my brain around
the Perl syntax, to figure out what's going wrong, to see whether they
are the char-code issue or something else!)

    (I've bought an Alpha and a copy of Open Genera some months ago
    but haven't yet had the time to install it - let alone to play
    with it. Sigh...)

I understand.  I've had a 3650 in my basement for some years, now, and
I still haven't time to set it up.

		- Pat