[cl-pdf-devel] Stream output error with cvs SBCL

Attila Lendvai attila.lendvai at gmail.com
Wed Jan 3 21:49:59 UTC 2007

> : i doubt i'll get to it again in the near future, though.
>
> So... what does that mean from now on?  Is this a change that is backed out?

well, i'm not the original author of the first steps of the binary
changes, but i definately support the idea.

we should/could either depend on flexi-streams and go full
'(unsigned-byte 8), or depend on proper bivalend steam and
external-format support of the implementations. the latter is probably
a safe bet, because i think all important should work fine in that
mode.

the downside of the bivalent stream solution is that then you can't
generate pfd's directly into streams over which you have no control
(think of network streams). but this shouldn't be a big problem,
because it's always a good idea to generate first into a file in /tmp
and then stream-copy its contents into the network stream to relax the
memory consumption.

an alpha/stable branch is most of the time a good idea.

then i will consider checking in my binary changes into the alpha
branch. they are more or less tought out, but right now i can't take
the pain of debugging a bugous pdf output without any prior knowledge
of pdf... :|

--
- attila

"- The truth is that I've been too considerate, and so became
unintentionally cruel...
 - I understand.
 - No, you don't understand! We don't speak the same language!"
(Ingmar Bergman - Smultronstället)