[cl-pdf-devel] a small patch, perhaps

Aleksandar Bakic a_bakic at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 31 22:56:30 UTC 2005

> On what Lisp ?

SBCL. I figured it out. It is always due to mixing characters and bytes...

> Dmitri is a fan of turning cl-pdf in binary mode. ;-)
> I'm convinced too that it's the way to go but I fear it would break on a lot
> of implementations. So why not, but this needs to have enough people to test
> on all the impementations.

On SBCL, I have found a way: using arrays of (unsigned-byte 8) instead of
strings of (unsigned-byte 8). That would require using vector-push-extend
instead of write-byte. Once you have a binary array, write-sequence dumps it
nicely into a file; whereas, if it were a binary string, that would not work in
SBCL for some reason (maybe it will in the future).

> Anyway let's finish the Unicode stuff first. I'm working on the
> unicode-encoding now.

Great, I am looking forward to it (and am not sure what is all there to
finish). I am also trying to generate PDFs dynamically using cl-typesetting in
the meantime. Are all those macros involving *document*, *page*, etc.,
necessary? Could some of them be turned into functions? I would also like if it
were possible to link objects (even) later (I am happy to notice that the PDF
macros do not generate PDF result immediately, unlike many HTML-generating
libraries), so that I can build pieces of a documents independently and then
compose them. Now, I cannot just build a page, because whenever I make an
instance of indirect-object (sub)class, *document* is used for linking... (or
something along those lines).

Alex