[cl-pdf-devel] unicode support (ttf + sb-unicode)

Marc Battyani marc.battyani at fractalconcept.com
Sun Oct 30 21:32:07 UTC 2005

Aleksandar Bakic <a_bakic at yahoo.com> wrote:

>I fixed it, too: first made byte arrays be strings of simple characters
(code <
>256), then modified zlib.lisp a bit (not using salza), and finally modified
>sbcl-naturalize-cstring from uffi a bit. I did not like the last part
because I
>am not very familiar with cl-pdf and uffi, so I will probably use your
>solution. Or, anyway, attached is a patch to my previous solution.

Seems a little bit too complex. ;-)
And doing this would need to be done for the other versions of zlib...

There are more important things to look at IMO. The encoding stuff and the
various functions to get the sizes, kerning information, etc. don't work
with the ttu-font-metrics. In a second time it would probably be a good idea
to try to optimize somewhat the in-memory representation of the font data.
(If it is possible of course.) I will look at that.

>Using fontforge and Times New Roman to make a TTF font with three
alphabets,
>together with the fixed compression, I got ex1-ttu.pdf drop from around
470kB
>to around 86kB.

Good to know.

Marc