[cffi-devel] For the CFFI gurus: Tcl/Tk: Tk_Init crashes (Lispworks)

Frank Goenninger frgo at mac.com
Thu Sep 20 23:10:59 UTC 2007

Am 20.09.2007 um 22:02 schrieb Martin Simmons:

>> Am 20.09.2007 um 20:42 schrieb Martin Simmons:
>>
>>> I suspect some threading problems.  Thread 0 is the Cocoa GUI and
>>> thread 4 is
>>> probably the Listener's REPL.  It is possible that Tk expects to be
>>> called
>>> from thread 0 (like Cocoa does).
>>
>> Ah - yes, that could really be the case!
>>

>>> Did you call lw-tk-test:main from the Listener in both crashlogs?
>>
>> Yes. I manually enter the call to main in Listener 1 ... And yes,
>> that was the case for both crashlogs.
>
> Ah, interesting, because the second one showed lots of Tk stuff in
> thread 0,
> which suggests that it interacts with that via the window system.
>
> To run it in thread 0, you can to do:
>
> (mp:process-send mp:*main-process* '(lw-tk-test:main))
>
> However, I've just tried that and it has messed up the LispWorks
> menu bar.  I
> suspect there is no reliable way to run both Tk and the LispWorks
> IDE (or
> maybe any Cocoa app) simultaneously.  It should be possible in the
> LispWorks
> Professional Edition, where you create a non-GUI image, but not in the
> Personal Edition.

Martin - thanks. Works over here now at least without crashing ... So
will look further to get a good offer from LispWorks for a
Professional or an Enterprise Edition ;-)

Support was outstanding from you - I very much value this! Thanks
again for stepping in!

Frank

--
     	Frank Goenninger

	CEO
	PRION Consulting Services AG
	Specializing in Product Lifecycle Management Solution Consulting.
         Echterdingen, Germany