[cffi-devel] For the CFFI gurus: Tcl/Tk: Tk_Init crashes (Lispworks)

Martin Simmons martin at lispworks.com
Thu Sep 20 20:02:17 UTC 2007

> Am 20.09.2007 um 20:42 schrieb Martin Simmons:
>
> > I suspect some threading problems.  Thread 0 is the Cocoa GUI and
> > thread 4 is
> > probably the Listener's REPL.  It is possible that Tk expects to be
> > called
> > from thread 0 (like Cocoa does).
>
> Ah - yes, that could really be the case!
>

> > Did you call lw-tk-test:main from the Listener in both crashlogs?
>
> Yes. I manually enter the call to main in Listener 1 ... And yes,
> that was the case for both crashlogs.

Ah, interesting, because the second one showed lots of Tk stuff in thread 0,
which suggests that it interacts with that via the window system.

To run it in thread 0, you can to do:

(mp:process-send mp:*main-process* '(lw-tk-test:main))

However, I've just tried that and it has messed up the LispWorks menu bar.  I
suspect there is no reliable way to run both Tk and the LispWorks IDE (or
maybe any Cocoa app) simultaneously.  It should be possible in the LispWorks
Professional Edition, where you create a non-GUI image, but not in the
Personal Edition.

--
Martin Simmons
LispWorks Ltd