[cells-gtk-devel] Re: [cells-devel] Use of :initform c? and c-in

Peter Denno peter.denno at nist.gov
Sun Oct 2 19:00:45 UTC 2005

On Sunday 02 October 2005 01:54, Kenny Tilton wrote:
> Peter Denno wrote:
> >Hi kenny, et al.,
> >
> >I was just updating the cells-gtk documentation. I am wondering whether I
> >answered this question about using :initform with c? versus c-in
> > correctly,
> >
> >Q: What is the difference between using c-in and c? in a slot's :initform
> > ? A: The usual semantics of :initform do not apply when :initform is
> > given a c? rule. Instead of just setting the value at initialization,
> > when c? is used, the value of the slot is checked and updated using the
> > rule throughout program execution.
>
> It is hard addressing this question without having gotten clear first
> the big picture. Then it is easy. So here is the big picture:
>
> [aside: I see the link to Bill Clemtson's Cells write-up does not get
> all the way to the write-up. Too bad, that was pretty good.]

Fixed. Thanks. And yes, I agree it is a very good description.

... more stuff much further down in this email....

> [...]
> somehow being maintained by Lotus 1-2-3 (Cells, in fact). Brains do not
> like to be messed with like that. You know how to program, and this is
> not it! You have my sympathy, and I confess that even after re-inventing
> Cells (the prior art is vast) I found myself falling back into a
> procedural paradigm on new code for at least a year. But Cells are as
> great for programming (not just GUIs) as spreadsheets are for
> accountants, and as much fun, so do not get discouraged. Take the pill:
> Cells is Lotus 1-2-3 for slots of CLOS instances. Plus a little twist:
>
> When a slot changes, Cells will call a generic function specializable on
> the name of the slot and the types of the instance, new value, and old
> value. Very handy, and I heard from a friend that Microsoft Excel will
> call a VBA function or something when a spreadsheet cell changes. Same
> idea: it is great to have a model working by itself, but how do we get
> anything useful out of all those values changing automatically? What if
> the "buy" flag on a stock goes to "on"? How do we arrange for the damn
> stock actually to be bought? We need the option of a callback where we
> can initiate an actual trade electronically.
>
> So. What is the difference between c-in (aka c-input) and c? (aka
> c-formula)? Simple. You have this big financial spreadsheet you use for
> "what if?" analysis. How do you play? You have one or more cells where
> you experiment with different possibilities. You just type in different
> prime rates or exchange rates or corporate tax rates. A thousand other
> cells have formulas leading back directly or indirectly to the rate, but
> a few cells do not have formulas, you just type in "42".
>
> Same with CLOS and Cells: some slots just get set by procedural code,
> and some slots get calculated directly or indirectly off the first
> slots. So, having sung the praises of formulas and declarative
> programming, where would we want to use the evil procedural paradigm and
> SETF some slot? Actually, astute readers might be asking the opposite
> question: is it turtles all the way down? If every Cell is calculated,
> what is the bottom Cell standing on? Just as a spreadsheet must have
> some cells into which we type data, the Cells-based CLOS model must have
> some slots into which the application deposits program inputs, and these
> are for a GUI application simply the OS events. Every event handler (or
> /the/ event handler depending on the OS) does nothing but setf the
> received values into slots such as mouse-positon or mouse-state or
> key-code, inter alia.
>
> So those slots are initialized as (c-input nil), and other slots get
> (c-formula <lisp forms>). End of story, except...
>
> ...certain complexities related to efficiency have been ducked. c-input
> is needed (and should only be used) where the application developer
> knows for sure they will have to setf that slot at some point. Big
> efficiencies result where one can safely code ":some-slot 42".

Thanks, that was helpful. But I am still looking for a definition that nails
the distinction. A definition is a single sentence that distinguishes a
concept from other concepts in the domain of discourse. ;^)

How about this:

The two define different kinds of cells:

"A c-input cell is a cell whose value may be set through explicit declarative
code, such as by using setf on the slot."

"A c-formula cell is a cell whose value is obtained through evaluation of a
formula."

Note that the usual semantics of :initform do not apply when :initform is
given by c-formula. Instead of just setting the value at initialization, the
c-formula (an arbitrary lisp form) specifies the dynamic relationship between
the slot's value and other aspects of the program state.

[It's actually this last part that is worth noting, I think. The semantics
of :initform are different. IMO cells would be easier to learn had you not
used :initform for the purpose of associating a formula with the slot. --
though :initform and whatever other keyword you might use to specify the
c-formula would be mutually exclusive.]

> >BTW, I will soon be rolling out some new capabilities with cells-gtk,
> >including GtkDrawingArea, and bindings for the GDK primitives for drawing.
> > I hope to have a demo that presents a graph and uses cells to update the
> > edges as the user drags the nodes around.
> >
> >I also have a cells-gtk "lisp listener" (or, more usefully, some custom
> >command shell) in the works.
>
> Glad to hear it. Lisp is continuing to catch on, and a universal GUI is
> needed. I think Cells-Gtk will be it.

In the other email you sent you wrote:

k. tilton:

Last I looked, Cells-Gtk did not work much like a spreadsheet. Most
slots (or more than I am used to) were c-input. Things still worked
automatically, because Cells allows a change callback (defined by
def-c-output) to SETF a c-input slot, but I for one try to avoid having
things work that way because it loses some of the benefits of Cells.
Most of them, actually. We are now back to a situation where the
programmer has to figure out what things to SETF in a change callback.
And we now no longer have a rule to look to for a slot, where we can see
in one place the full algorithm for deciding a slot's value.

Anyway, my big long spreadsheet analogy might have folks who have seen
only Cells-Gtk wondering what I am going on about, so I thought I should
make this addendum. Everything I wrote is valid and it does explain the
roles of c-input and c-formula, but Cells-Gtk may not feel very
spreadsheet-y.

p. denno:

If you could find any spot where we might use cells more effectively, I'll try
to fix it.

--
- Best regards,
   Peter