[cells-gtk-devel] Re: [cells-devel] Use of :initform c? and c-in

Kenny Tilton ktilton at nyc.rr.com
Sun Oct 2 13:23:09 UTC 2005

Addendum.....

> Take the pill: Cells is Lotus 1-2-3 for slots of CLOS instances. Plus
> a little twist:
>
> When a slot changes, Cells will call a generic function specializable
> on the name of the slot and the types of the instance, new value, and
> old value. Very handy, and I heard from a friend that Microsoft Excel
> will call a VBA function or something when a spreadsheet cell changes.
> Same idea: it is great to have a model working by itself, but how do
> we get anything useful out of all those values changing automatically?
> What if the "buy" flag on a stock goes to "on"? How do we arrange for
> the damn stock actually to be bought? We need the option of a callback
> where we can initiate an actual trade electronically.

Last I looked, Cells-Gtk did not work much like a spreadsheet. Most
slots (or more than I am used to) were c-input. Things still worked
automatically, because Cells allows a change callback (defined by
def-c-output) to SETF a c-input slot, but I for one try to avoid having
things work that way because it loses some of the benefits of Cells.
Most of them, actually. We are now back to a situation where the
programmer has to figure out what things to SETF in a change callback.
And we now no longer have a rule to look to for a slot, where we can see
in one place the full algorithm for deciding a slot's value.

Anyway, my big long spreadsheet analogy might have folks who have seen
only Cells-Gtk wondering what I am going on about, so I thought I should
make this addendum. Everything I wrote is valid and it does explain the
roles of c-input and c-formula, but Cells-Gtk may not feel very
spreadsheet-y.

kt