[cells-gtk-devel] New cells-gtk capabilities and new tarball

Kenny Tilton ktilton at nyc.rr.com
Mon May 30 16:37:33 UTC 2005

Peter Denno wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I created a new tarball of cells-gtk available from the home page
>http://common-lisp.net/project/cells-gtk/ . The tarball is currently synced
>to what is in CVS. It contains some new things:
>
>- ComboBoxes may now use a TreeModel, thus allowing a hierarchical arrangement
>of items. The demo has an example of this under the "menus" tab.  You need to
>build libcellsgtk to use TreeModel-style ComboBoxes.
>
>- TreeBoxes may now specify :expand-all t  to allow the tree to initially
>display completely expanded.
>
>- There is a new procedure to find the gtk libraries. The path need be
>specified in just one place: gtk-ffi/gtk-ffi.asd. (See details INSTALL.txt) I
>had hopes that for at least some lisps, it would not be necessary to specify
>the path to libraries at all. This doesn't seem to be the case. I'll
>investigate more.
>
>- Miscellaneous small improvements
>
>- The tarball uses Cells 2.
>
>I have tested this on cmucl and Lispworks/Linux. I have not tested it on
>Windows yet because I don't have a windows box handy and VMWare isn't working
>on my Linux box. So if you are running Windows, let me know how it goes.

Peter,

Thanks for carrying on Vasilis's work so effectively.

I have started /trying/ to test under Windows. The build goes OK, tho
under ACL 6.2 in load.lisp one cannot say ":version :wild", it has to be
":version :unspecific". But in ACL7 they support :wild so you may not
want to bother. I was over on 6.2 because Cells-Gtk had worked there,
and under ACL7 I was getting an obscure error loading the GTK dlls. I
have not touched those since playing with cgtk, so I thought maybe the
ACL loader was doing something different. Nope, same error on ACL 6.2.
So as usual with Windows, nothing makes sense and I am slowly installing
the latest GTK+ 2.6.7 family of libs to see if I can get Gtk working itself.

If that succeeds, I will then finish a little libgtkcells VC++ project
to build a win32 dll for that and see if I can get the new stuff working.

peace, kenny