[cells-devel] Current DP ... not GE pulse ... of cell ...?

Ken Tilton kennytilton at optonline.net
Thu May 15 16:32:38 UTC 2008

Peter Hildebrandt wrote:
> Every now and then I do something silly (like setf'ing a cell w/o
> initializing it as c-in, and I run into a cells-stop.
>
> What is the correct way to recover from this?

I have not put any thought into recovery. We could certainly do
something primitive like simply not make such a big fuss over the error,
either allowing the setf with a big noisy warning about "don't think you
just triggered some dataflow", or /not/ allowing the setf (and warning
to that effect) but not do the *stop* thing. I guess you could also do
(setf cells::*stop* nil) and see what happens.

That *stop* stuff is the only way to stop Lisp applications being fed
events by a GUI library, and I went thru this twice with two different
OSes/window managers so it's a solid problem... hmmm, I have never
messed with fancy restarts, but that is a possibility.

One problem is that we set *stop* precisely to stop Cells machinery from
running, so a lot of things happen that do not get handled. Just
clearing the *stop* does not get those things handled. But it sounds
like you have a case where you have a long-enough running process that
you cannot just restart /and/ you feel you could just carry on... well,
maybe the above has you reconsidering.

> I used to do a (cells-reset), but all too often the next cells
> operation runs into something like that:
>
> Current DP 28 not GE pulse 1160 of cell
>
> ... and somehow I don't get anything done until I restart lisp.

Ah, you have to restart the Lisp? Is this because of what I see on the
Windows side: if I close my Gtk window I lock up my Lisp?

For me it is just abort/fix/rerun. If /that/ is the problem, to tell you
the truth I would not rest until I could get Gtk to come down without
taking my Lisp with it. It ain't just Lisp if it isn't interactive (by
which I mean I should be able to run, crash, and start over at will.

ie, The Real Problem may be this Gtk vs Lisp thing.

Lemme know.