[cells-devel] not-to-be and owning slots

Ken Tilton kennytilton at optonline.net
Tue Apr 22 09:15:07 UTC 2008

Peter Hildebrandt wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 2:33 AM, Ken Tilton <kennytilton at optonline.net> wrote:
>

>> Later on I saw you reporting something weird about .kids not getting
>>reliably handled. I' d like to run down the "weird" rather than just throw
>>in parallel code to make .kids work. After I commit lemme know when the
>>weirdness returns.
>

> Sounds good.  I wasn't sure as to whether I understood what I was
> doing.  I just saw that not-to-be did not propagate to kids *at all*
> if I did it the way I suggested.

OK.

> Hold on, one idea:  Maybe the problem is with
>
> (get (type-of fm) :ownings), i.e. this only picks up the owning
> defined on the actual class of fm, not the inherited ones?
>
> To be honest, I am just doing wild guesswork here, so I better shut up :-)

No, you are hot on the trail. I have code which tries to propagate the
:owning declaration up and down the class hierarchy, so I wager there is
a bug in there. And having revisited this, I find myself not liking the
idea of propagating a slot attribute that way, tho I guess propagating
down is what other slot attributes do when a slot is reiterated but with
some attributes not specified. I may ask the c.l.l yobbo language
lawyers what they think.

> Hope you guys had a good time in Amsterdam.  Hopefully next year I
> will actually make it :-)

Everything but the talk itself was a blast. It is so great hanging out
with Lispers in large quantities. As for the talk, I am tempted to set
up my camcorder and do the talk again for YouTube. :( But based on
post-talk reaction at least I was understood. A Lispworks guy wanted to
talk about how hard it must be to debug the damn things. I said, No and
yes, the yes being that I have always antancipated that as non-experts
get involved better diagnostics/debug/trace tools would be needed.

I'll be revising the not-to-be thing and look at why kids did not get
handled -- good to have a smoking gun to debug. Oh, wait -- what was the
class? My guess is one that reiterated the kids slot instead of just
supplying a default initarg.