[cells-devel] Re: [cells-gtk-devel] Re: Anything new for me to show off at ECLM 2008?

Peter Hildebrandt peter.hildebrandt at gmail.com
Sat Apr 12 16:35:39 UTC 2008

Ken,

On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 1:03 PM, Ken Tilton <kennytilton at optonline.net> wrote:
>  Hmmm, a little trouble there. PicoZip on WinXP cannot read it, WinZip on
> Vista (my new laptop for the eclm talk) complains but then seems to open it.
> The complaint looks like winzip just is not handling Vista.

Weird.  I used the built-in zipper in ubuntu.  But since cvs now
magically works for me again, this has become obsolete fortunately.

>  Question 2: the above does not include a Cells directory (unless the
> expansion broke). I will be trying to build it (looks like I have to hack
> the ACL .lpr files for a while) in the meantime.

Yep, I think we never had cells3 be part of cells-gtk3 (I guess part
of why we did cells-gtk3 is so that we don't have to include out own
fork of cells anymore).

BTW, do you have strong feelings about how to structure the cells-gtk
tree?  you had flattened it in cvs, I had it restructured to match the
old cells-gtk (so I could merge in my patches).  Which one do you
prefer if any?  If you don't care either way I will try and
restructure cvs to match the old cells-gtk tree structure for the sake
of consistency.
> > (2) Tree View

>  Omigod! I did an inspector at one point and used it to inspect the
> inspector window itself. Then I navigated down to the actual widgets in view
> and watched as the inspector showed things like the mouse-over state
> dynamically (without asking the inspector to refresh). I seem to recall
> adding some Cells internals to make it work, tho. In this screenshot:

Gotta love (+ lisp cells).  test-gtk has had that feature for a while,
I think (at least longer than I have been on board).  I remeber it
took me a while to understand what was *really* going on when I saw it
first.

> > (4) Threading
> >
> > It is relly nice and lispy to use the repl to change properties of the
> > windows currently displayed and to add and remove widgets
> > interactively (especially if you have a background in C) -- but I
> > don't know whether that works in MS Windows.  Just checked,
> > bordeaux-threads on windows does not support Allegro.  Bummer.
> >

>  I will be doing repl stuff during my talk -- ACL runs a separate process
> from the IDE to execute Lisp. We just need to have a breather in the event
> loop handling to give the IDE enough cycles to be responsive.

Cooperative scheduling, heh?  Apparently cells-gtk on
Lispworks/Windows has similar issues (there's a work around somewhere
in cells-gtk).  So far I haven't seen that with sbcl/linux.  Maybe
threading works better over here, maybe gtk does a better job of
keeping the load in the main loop know.

Those issues aside, doing repl stuff while having a gui up is really
neat, isn't it?

>  OK, don't make yourself crazy on my account.

Well, I'd love to have these things up and running in my thesis talk
two months from now, so it won't hurt to be a little ahead of
schedule.

> In fact, I already have
> Cells-gtk as I had it last running on my laptop, I might just leave it at
> that. I am going to try to get to Celtk, Cello, TripleCells (lite
> integration with an RDF triple-store), Cells-Gtk, and OpenAIR (the
> cells/ajax bit andy is doing). Whew!

Wow, sounds like a great program.  It seems next time they could save
the trouble of inviting other speakers, and just let you talk for the
whole two days. :-)

Anyway, good luck with all of it, and I am looking forward to watching
the recording.

Cheers,
Peter