[cells-devel] The "No CVS" Rule :)

Thomas F. Burdick tfb at OCF.Berkeley.EDU
Tue Dec 16 19:08:50 UTC 2003

Kenny Tilton writes:
 > Just to be clear, the "No CVS" rule relates to avoiding the bleeding
 > edge, not anything to with CVS per se, yes? Or is it that the CVS stuff
 > is not packaged as thoughtfully to build right out of the box?

Right -- depending on the project, the source in CVS can be almost
guaranteed to be broken.  That's just an issue with using the
development branch.

 > I ask because it has occurred to me that CVS neatly solves the problem
 > of my jumping around between win32 and Linux: if I pull source down onto
 > my Linux box and hack it to make it work over there, then I just commit
 > and do an update on my win32 box and make sure everything still works
 > there. If not, another iteration and all should be OK, off to OS X to
 > conquer another platform.
 >
 > Sound right?

That's how it's supposed to work.  You could have more useful comments
to your commits (say, "changed use of cc-defstruct to defstruct"), but
it's not strictly necessary :).  That kind of thing can be useful when
trying to figure out when something broke, though.

--
         ,'  .\  / | No to Imperialist war |