[cello-devel] Various announcements

Kenny Tilton ktilton at nyc.rr.com
Sun Jun 20 12:50:20 UTC 2004

-- I just uploaded ck200406.zip and .sig to the cells ftp area. contents
next, but here's a scoop: "ck" is short for Code Kenny. Anything found
in such an upload is simply my working code base. I have to back off the
surprising amount of time it takes to worry about Cells/Cello qua open
source projects (maintaining ASD files I do not use for actual work,
sorting out things which break under Lispworks) and worry about making
money for a while. FYI, the LPR files are text files one can read to see
which files get loaded in which order, and which projects depend on
which other projects. btw, if anyone sends in patches to make the code
compatible with some other environment I will work those into my code
base, i am just not going to push that myself at this point.

-- I for one will be doing Cello under the Cells project on
common-lisp.net until further notice. As I feared, too much overlap.

-- the version of Cells in this zip is what I have been calling Cells
II, because there was a fundamental re-working of some crucial
internals. Vanilla semantics of Cells is unchanged, and edge cases
should behave better. Internals themselves are insanely better. And for
the first time I came up with a somewhat formal spec for Cells which
guided the internals rewrite, which I will be sharing RSN.

-- included also in the zip is Cells-LTk, derived from Peter Hersh's
LTk. I started with the idea of wrapping LTk, but that was going to be a
mess, so I just subsituted a widget framework based on Cells for the
original. I will look next week at whether Cello can be simply given a
Tk backend.

-- the included Cello uses display lists for everything, and runs five
times faster. This work has made FTGL (FreeType in OpenGL) misbehave
quite a bit, but I have some ideas as to why.

kenny

--
Home? http://tilton-technology.com
Cells? http://www.common-lisp.net/project/cells/