[hunchentoot-devel] Request methods suffixed with * -- not backwards compatible?

Edi Weitz edi at agharta.de
Mon Sep 1 17:59:50 UTC 2008

On Mon, 1 Sep 2008 21:51:20 +0530, "Chaitanya Gupta" <mail at chaitanyagupta.com> wrote:

> Does it have to break so badly?

Yes.  Except that I wouldn't call it "break".  Generally, I think it
is better to introduce several incompatible changes at once than to do
it piecemeal with every release.

> I don't see the *-suffixed versions giving any real advantage, and
> the slot accessors can just be renamed to something else --
> e.g. request-get-parameters, etc. -- instead of currently exported
> symbols.

We thought about this as well and eventually decided to go this way.
One of the goals of the new release is a clearer CLOS-based model of
the request/response phase and we think that the names should reflect
this.  I'm usually trying to be as backwards-compatible as possible
(mind you, I have to update my web apps as well!), but sometimes it
simply isn't possible.

As Hans said, if you think the new release doesn't buy you anything,
you are free to stick with the previous one.  You can even have both
for the price of one.  (Special offer, will only last until
Halloween!)

Cheers,
Edi.