[hunchentoot-devel] using SESSION-VALUE without START-SESSION will never call HT::COUNT-SESSION-USAGE

Lars Rune Nøstdal larsnostdal at gmail.com
Sun Mar 30 00:59:33 UTC 2008

Lars Rune Nøstdal <larsnostdal <at> gmail.com> writes:

> so the only thing that calls HT::COUNT-SESSION-USAGE is HT:SESSION-START, and
> nothing calls HT:SESSION-START .. (hope i got this right; i'm tired)

actually .. it seems (SETF SESSION-VALUE) does call HT:SESSION-START

..but i still expected different behavior based on:

"A session garbage collection (see SESSION-GC) will happen every
*SESSION-GC-FREQUENCY* requests (counting only requests which use sessions) if
the value of this variable is not NIL. It's default value is 50. "

..which led me to think this also included cases where SESSION-VALUE where
called ("requests which use sessions")

..i'm working on a chat toy (ajax and comet-polling will lead to 50 requests
pretty fast).. and i needed to have sessions timeout when users leave the
"chat-page" or get disconnected so i can update the nick-list close to real time

--
Lars Rune Nøstdal
http://nostdal.org/