[hunchentoot-devel] problem setting up hunchentoot

Ralf Mattes rm at seid-online.de
Thu Apr 10 11:43:35 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-04-09 at 18:44 -0400, Jeffrey Straszheim wrote:
> Kim Stebel wrote:
> > Hello group,
> >
> > I'm new to LISP and i'm trying to set up a basic "Hello World"-website
> > with Hunchentoot. I'm using SBCL 1.0.6 on linux(ubuntu gutsy) and
> > installed hunchentoot
> > via asdf-install.
> Hi Kim,
>
> In addition to what others have said, your version of SBCL is rather out
> of date.  This happens a lot with the pre-packaged distributions you get
> from the various Linux sites.
>
> I suggest you clean out your entire SBCL install, and go to the SBCL
> site and get the latest version.  I recently asked a similar question on
> the SBCL mailing list, and a fellow named Brian gave me this advice:
>
>     I would recommend staying away from distribution packages for SBCL.
>     Just download the latest binary from the web site, install it, and
>     use it to compile the latest sources. It's relatively
>     straightforward; the only thing that's even moderately tricky is
>     building with threads. To do that, create a file named
>     "customize-target-features.lisp" in the root of the SBCL sources
>     containing something like:
>
>     (lambda (list) (cons :sb-thread list))
>
>     Then just build SBCL as usual ("sh make.sh").
>
> It worked fine.

Yes - but that's incredible overkill. What problem does this actually
solve. Is there _any_ change in SBCLs between in, say, Ubuntu 7.10 and
the current CVS version that changes the behaviour of SBCL or fixes
prominent bugs? The only features I can think of are thread and unicode
support.

The poroblems that usually pop up in mailing lists are almost allways
related to old[1] versions of _libraries_ and the proper way to procede
here would be to nagg the package maintainer ...
Or - even better, learn the basics of package building on your prefered
distribution and build your up-to-date local versions. I can only speak
for Debian/Ubuntu here, but I maintain local versions of most of the CL
libs I need for my projects and updating usually involves little more
than a VC update and an 'debchange -ni' to update the package version.

 And iff you feel generous you might even offer your packages to the
Debian CL folks ...

Yust my 0.02 cents

  Cheers, Ralf Mattes