[hunchentoot-devel] problem setting up hunchentoot

Jeffrey Straszheim jstraszheim at comcast.net
Wed Apr 9 22:44:35 UTC 2008

Kim Stebel wrote:
> Hello group,
>
> I'm new to LISP and i'm trying to set up a basic "Hello World"-website
> with Hunchentoot. I'm using SBCL 1.0.6 on linux(ubuntu gutsy) and
> installed hunchentoot
> via asdf-install.
Hi Kim,

In addition to what others have said, your version of SBCL is rather out
of date.  This happens a lot with the pre-packaged distributions you get
from the various Linux sites.

I suggest you clean out your entire SBCL install, and go to the SBCL
site and get the latest version.  I recently asked a similar question on
the SBCL mailing list, and a fellow named Brian gave me this advice:

    I would recommend staying away from distribution packages for SBCL.
    Just download the latest binary from the web site, install it, and
    use it to compile the latest sources. It's relatively
    straightforward; the only thing that's even moderately tricky is
    building with threads. To do that, create a file named
    "customize-target-features.lisp" in the root of the SBCL sources
    containing something like:

    (lambda (list) (cons :sb-thread list))

    Then just build SBCL as usual ("sh make.sh").

It worked fine.

Once you have the latest SBCL, then reinstall ASDF-INSTALL and off you go.

You should also consider joining the SBCL mailing list (from their
site).  You'll find them very helpful if you have a problem.

--
Jeffrey Straszheim
Programmer, Engineer
jstraszheim at comcast.net