[hunchentoot-devel] PUT parameters missing?

Jonathon McKitrick jmckitrick at reedlarkeygroup.com
Sun Jun 17 15:26:41 UTC 2007

On Jun 4, 2007, at 10:30 AM, Edi Weitz wrote:

> On Mon, 4 Jun 2007 09:48:19 -0400, Jonathon McKitrick
> <jmckitrick at reedlarkeygroup.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm using REST as well, so maybe I can offer some thoughts on this.
>> POST is used when sending data to a URL endpoint, and often it means
>> an entity is created, like an SQL INSERT.  PUT is used to update
>> some properties of an already existing entity, like an SQL UPDATE.
>> At least that's the most common use.  So with a POST reply I create
>> an entity and return the URL in the 'location' header of the
>> response.  A PUT request applies the parameters to the entity
>> identified by the URL.
>
> Strange.  To me that seems counterintuitive and not really in sync
> with how PUT is described[1] in RFC 2616.  But, anyway, if you REST
> guys think you need this, send a reasonable patch[2] and I'll review
> it.

I've been testing some code to PUT an XML entity rather than
populating the POST parameters, but I'm not sure how to get the
content from the request via hunchentoot.  I've found GET-CONTENT in
CL-WEBDAV, but that code seems to read the raw content data as a
file, while I'm sending data as an XML document.  Is there a simple
way to do this without resorting to another library?

--
Jonathon McKitrick
jmckitrick at reedlarkeygroup.com