[hunchentoot-devel] PUT parameters missing?

Edi Weitz edi at agharta.de
Mon Jun 4 14:30:47 UTC 2007

On Mon, 4 Jun 2007 09:48:19 -0400, Jonathon McKitrick <jmckitrick at reedlarkeygroup.com> wrote:

> I'm using REST as well, so maybe I can offer some thoughts on this.
> POST is used when sending data to a URL endpoint, and often it means
> an entity is created, like an SQL INSERT.  PUT is used to update
> some properties of an already existing entity, like an SQL UPDATE.
> At least that's the most common use.  So with a POST reply I create
> an entity and return the URL in the 'location' header of the
> response.  A PUT request applies the parameters to the entity
> identified by the URL.

Strange.  To me that seems counterintuitive and not really in sync
with how PUT is described[1] in RFC 2616.  But, anyway, if you REST
guys think you need this, send a reasonable patch[2] and I'll review
it.

Cheers,
Edi.

[1] "The PUT method requests that the enclosed entity be stored under
     the supplied Request-URI."

[2] http://weitz.de/patches.html