[hunchentoot-devel] PUT parameters missing?

Jonathon McKitrick jmckitrick at reedlarkeygroup.com
Mon Jun 4 13:48:19 UTC 2007

On Jun 4, 2007, at 9:34 AM, Edi Weitz wrote:

> On Mon, 4 Jun 2007 09:28:54 -0400, Jonathon McKitrick
> <jmckitrick at reedlarkeygroup.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm waaay behind in updating from 0.5.0, so yesterday I grabbed
>> 0.11.1.  I use a lot of PUT requests in my web app, and data is sent
>> in parameters just like in POST.  However, the latest version of
>> hunchentoot does not appear to populate post-parameters in a PUT
>> request.
>
>   http://common-lisp.net/pipermail/tbnl-devel/2007-May/001360.html

I'm using REST as well, so maybe I can offer some thoughts on this.
POST is used when sending data to a URL endpoint, and often it means
an entity is created, like an SQL INSERT.  PUT is used to update some
properties of an already existing entity, like an SQL UPDATE.  At
least that's the most common use.  So with a POST reply I create an
entity and return the URL in the 'location' header of the response.
A PUT request applies the parameters to the entity identified by the
URL.

--
Jonathon McKitrick
jmckitrick at reedlarkeygroup.com