[hunchentoot-devel] Re: hunchentoot specials

Edi Weitz edi at agharta.de
Thu Jan 11 21:18:33 UTC 2007

[Cc to mailing list.]

Hi!

On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 16:38:32 +0100, Gábor Melis <mega at retes.hu> wrote:

> I've been migrating some of my stuff over to hunchentoot from
> paserve and I'm generally happy with it.

Good... :)

> One thing that strikes me as odd is the number of specials that
> govern server behaviour. I'm not talking about *request* and *reply*
> since they are dynamic extent by nature, but *log-...*,
> *default-...*, and well ... almost everything else. It seems to me
> that they make it very hard to run more than one hunchentoot server
> with different settings. I'm thinking virtual hosts.
>
> To keep it short:
>
> - do you agree?

Yes.  The reason is Hunchentoot's heritage from TBNL which was a
single-server library.  And the fact that I myself almost never use
more than one server per image.

> - if yes, do you think it will be changed?

I'm pretty busy right now, so don't hold your breath.  But, yes, it
will be changed one day.

> - would you take patches in this direction if I ever happen to get
> around to do it?

Sure.  However, I get a lot of patches where I finally end up
re-writing most of what I received which really doesn't save time.
What I'd like to see is:

- Follow the coding and indentation conventions I use elsewhere in the
  code.

- Don't use tab characters.

- Every function/variable/class/slot/etc. should have a reasonable
  documentation string.

- The patch should include updates to the HTML documentation as well
  (if necessary).

Yes, I'm anal about this, sorry.

Anyway - apart from that I'm always happy to incorporate patches.  And
if I like the new code enough, I might also end up doing the work
listed above myself.  But it'll be faster if someone else has already
done so.

Thanks,
Edi.