[tbnl-devel] tbnl / sbcl 0.8.21

Edi Weitz edi at agharta.de
Wed Apr 6 23:04:33 UTC 2005

On Wed, 6 Apr 2005 15:43:52 -0700, Keith Irwin <keith.irwin at gmail.com> wrote:

> en_US.UTF-8

If you currently don't need full Unicode support then maybe (where are
the SBCL experts?) it suffices to change this to "en_US.ISO-8859-1"
(or whatever it's called) before starting SBCL.

> Yeah.  Okay.
>
> I changed stuff in rfc2238 and araneida to use unsigned-byte 8 in a
> few with-open-files and that solves the compilation problem.
> Serving images is a different story, and I imagine if I use unicode
> chars in my content I'd get a similar prob.
>
> My current option is to serve the images using apache (an Alias in
> the config), but I tend to like to have apps that require a minimum
> of os-level config (until they're big enough to warrant that sort of
> thing).
>
> I might play with it tomorrow a bit more.

I basically agree with you that it's nice to have everything served by
the Lisp image.  However, this is almost impossible unless you have
bivalent streams.  (It is my understanding that SBCL will have them
sooner or later because the need is obvious.)  Also, note that Apache
is pretty good at serving static content.

As far as serving full Unicode content is concerned you'll actually
want more than bivalent streams - you want to have (socket) streams
that can change their character encoding on the fly.  AFAIK only CLISP
(not supported by TBNL) and AllegroCL can do that at the moment.  But
look at the Unicode example in test.lisp for an example on how this
can be done in LW with implementation-specific features.

Cheers,
Edi.